Round Up!

Things are back in full swing on the Commons.  The last few weeks alone have brought a couple hundred (!) new faces to the site — Hello!

The 11th anniversary of 9/11 passed this week.  Adam Wandt snapped a beautiful photo of the “Towers of Light” tribute down at Ground Zero and shared his thoughts on what we remember each year.  I still think the light installations this time each year are a really poignant tribute and I hope they continue after the new towers are finished.  Unfortunately the week was marred by violence around the globe; starting in Libya and wrapping up in China.  There isn’t much I have to offer on either front.  Both protests in Libya and China, though clearly different, are each rooted in historical context so thick that trying to talk about them in this often silly and tertiary space wouldn’t help at all.  I will offer, in all earnestness, the thought that everyone in this community should remember that your work is both the salve and the antidote.

Elsewhere in the news Tony Picciano shared with us the latest from Chicago.  As many of you know Chicago’s teachers are on strike this week to protest pay cuts and changes to benefits.  There was much speculation as to whether the strike would happen at all and now, a week in, it looks as though Chicago will go a second week with no class.  Here’s hoping CTU is able to strike a deal soon.

Two tech pieces showed up in the blogs this week.  Will Fenton spent some time reviewing GoodReader for the iPad while Aaron Knoll talks to us about choice and technology.  Both posts are great reads and point to a trend on the Commons of folks sharing reviews and advice with the community and the world at large.  Maybe it’s time for a tech column on the Commons?

Finally this week we had something of a surprise on the Commons.  CUNY’s own Chancellor Matthew Goldstein wrote an engrossing post on the Ubiquitous Normal Law.  From there a discussion kicked up and the math crew tossed around examples and limits.  It was a little beyond me, as most math is (Sorry Chancellor and CUNYMath folks!) but it was a pleasure to see the Chancellor drop by the Commons.

Till next week!